ERSL Promotion and Relegation Policy – 2013
As Approved at the December 12, 2012 BoD Meeting
Note: The implementation of the LTPD structure may impact league set up and operations in the future. If/when required, the ERSL will report to the membership on LTPD activities which will affect this policy, in order that the membership and the league can manage any required transition in a timely manner.
This document will be used by ERSL at the end of the 2013 season and subsequent seasons to determine promotions and relegation to and from L3 and L4 divisions in all Age Groups up to and including U18.
Part A -- General Policies
Part B – U13
- Clubs eligible for promotion shall receive the offer from the League not later than October 15 and will be required to declare their intentions with respect to the promotion within 14 days after the offer is made. Clubs shall be provided 7 days to respond to any additional promotion offers that are made after certain Clubs have declined the initial offer.
- Each Club shall be limited to a maximum of two L3 teams, regardless of OYSL relegation, L3 performance and possible L4 promotion.
- First place L4 teams that are ten points clear of the second place team MUST accept promotion.
- Teams that are the L4 champions in two consecutive seasons MUST accept promotion.
- Clubs having teams meeting the criteria of Article 3 or Article 4 that decline to accept promotion, SHALL lose the L4 Division Team Position Status.
- Where a playoff is required to break a tie in the standings where promotion eligibility is at stake, the game shall be played under the conditions specified in the tie-breaker procedures of the ERSL’s Rules and Regulations.
- If either or both Teams that are required to play a tie breaker-game in accordance with Article 6 fail to do so within the timelines established by the ERSL, the Team(s) SHALL forfeit their eligibility for promotion in the subsequent season to the higher level division.
The policy used to determine the selection of teams that will move from U12 L5 Leagues to U13 L3 and U13 L4 will be announced by the East Region League Management Committee (ERLMC) prior to the start of each season. The teams identified under the policy for movement to U13 in the following season will be announced by ERLMC at the conclusion of the current season.
Part C -- U14 to U17
Selection of Teams for L3
For U15 to U17, teams relegated from the OYSL are entitled to a position in the appropriate L3 division in the subsequent year.
- The top team(s) from L3 may accept promotion to OYSL.
- The first and second place teams from the L4 Division are offered promotion into the L3 Division. If promotion is declined, the offer of promotion shall be extended to the next Club(s) as long as the Club(s) is within six points of the last eligible Club to qualify for promotion.
- Following the application of Article 1, Article 2 and Article 3, if there are more than eight teams in the L3 Division, a sufficient number of Teams shall be relegated to reduce the number of L3 teams to eight teams.
- Following the application of Article 1, Article 2 and Article 3, if there is a vacancy in the L3 Division, then an additional team(s) from L4 (e.g. 3rd place, then 4th place, as long as they are within six points of the last eligible Club to qualify for promotion) will be offered promotion to the L3 Division to increase the number of L3 teams to eight teams.
- Following the application of Article 4 and Article 5, if there is still an insufficient number of L4 Teams eligible for, or willing to accept, promotion to L3, the ERSL may, at its sole discretion, decide to relegate fewer teams from the previous season’s L3.
- Unless a Team has been relegated to L4 in accordance with Article 4, Part C of this Policy, a club that decides not to field a team in a L3 Age Division for which the Club had an established Team Position Status in the previous season, then that Club SHALL forfeit its Team Position Status (TPS) in the L3 division.
- Once the ERSL is advised that the Club is disbanding or withdrawing its application for a team for which it had a TPS, the ERSL may, at its sole discretion, assign the forfeited TPS to any other eligible Club/Team;
- Should a Club wish to maintain a Team, but does not wish the team to continue to play in L3, a request to transfer the applicable TPS to L4 will not be approved by the ERSL and the team shall be relegated to the appropriate L5 EODSA or SOSA League.
Selection of Teams for Level 4
- Two L5 teams in each male and female Age Group are eligible for promotion to the applicable L4 Division. The policy to determine how teams are selected from the EODSA and SOSA L5 Leagues will be decided by the ERLMC prior to the start of each season.
- Following the application of Article 10, if there are more than eight teams in the L4 Division, sufficient teams shall be relegated (to the L5 League in their District) to reduce the number of teams to eight teams.
- Following the application of Article 10, if there is a vacancy in the L4 Division, then an additional team(s) from the L5 Leagues will be offered promotion to join the L4 Division to increase the number of L4 teams to eight teams. To do so, the remaining teams from the particular Age Group divisions in the L5 Leagues shall be ranked based on the percentage of points earned in league standings (e.g. in a 14-game schedule where maximum points are 42, then a team with 28 points has a 66.6% ranking), followed (only if required) by goal differential (goals for minus goals against), and followed (only if required) by goals for.
- Following the application of Article 12, if there is still an insufficient number of L5 teams eligible for, or willing to accept promotion to, L4, the ERSL may, at its discretion, decide to relegate fewer teams from the previous season’s L4 division.